In 2018, PPC celebrated 89 years as an association. We also held our 75th North American Paperboard Packaging Competition. That’s a whole lot of history! Yet throughout time, our goals have been focused and simple. We grow the industry. We promote paperboard. We protect our members against unfavorable regulations and competing substrates. 2018 was no different, and we are thrilled with the progress we’ve made.
Here are just a few of the ways we served our members and our industry this year.
Helping Members Grow and Educate Employees
At the heart of PPC is a thriving community of paperboard packaging manufacturers and their suppliers. The association exists to help these companies grow and better their businesses. To that end, in 2018 we:
- Held three rigid box operator training sessions—multi-day workshops that taught member employees to operate rigid box-making equipment.
- Announced the 2019 “People, Paperboard, & Productivity” workshop for technical, HR, and financial professionals in the carton industry.
- Educated the membership on key topics such as productivity, workforce issues, and value-added packaging at our Spring and Fall Meetings.
- Released the Trends Report, a comprehensive forecast of the folding carton market that helps members plot a course for the years ahead.
- Trained newcomers to the industry at our Folding Carton Boot Camps.
In everything we do, we celebrate versatile, sustainable, renewable paperboard. It’s the premier packaging substrate, and we strive to spread the word! To share that message this year we:
- Hosted the 75th annual North American Paperboard Packaging Competition, putting the very best paperboard designs on display for the industry and the packaging community.
- Designed new, modern competition award trophies that help members promote their accomplishments.
- For the first time, honored the winners of the PPA Student Design challenge at Fall Meeting, encouraging young designers to use paperboard and connecting them with potential employers.
- Embarked on a project to rebrand PPC and create a new website that will launch in 2019.
- Helped members educate school-aged children about the environmental benefits of trees and paperboard through the TICCIT program.
Protecting Members in the Marketplace
Not only does PPC promote paperboard, we also promote our members' legislative interests. PPC keeps an eye on key regulatory issues, working closely with AF&PA and other organizations to protect the industry. In 2018 we:
- Monitored China’s efforts to limit imports of recovered paper—activities that have disrupted the recovered fiber market. PPC members received an exclusive whitepaper on the subject written by MIT and AF&PA.
- Alerted the membership to potential state legislation that would ban food packaging containing FDA-approved chemicals generally used for high-grease or high-oil applications.
- Participated in Mass Advocacy Day, a collective effort to demonstrate the positive impact of our industry to the Massachusetts state legislature.
As PPC quickly approaches our 90th year, we thank our Board, committees, and the entire membership for their support. We look forward to continuing and expanding our efforts in 2019 and beyond!